Tuesday, December 10, 2013

An Evening in Haji Ali Dargah - Mumbai

I was on my official trip to Mumbai & Pune from 06.07.09 to 10.07.09.Altough I have frequent visits to Mumabi but could not manage to visit HAJI ALI DARGAH due to the busy schedule. This time I decided that I would stay in Dadar instead to New Mumbai –Vashi so that I can manage to visit Dargah.

On 6th july itself during my working , I was going to Jaslok Hospital (Pedder Road) from Tata Memorial Hospital (Parel) with my colleagues, one of my Mumbai colleagues showed me the Haji Ali Dargah while crossing the worli link but unfortunately I was not able to visit that time due to the prior fixed appointment.

Haji Ali 


Next day evening after finishing our official work we reached our Hotel at 7.00 PM in Dadar, I was not able to resist myself from visiting Haji Ali & we reached there by 8.00 PM.


HAJI ALI dargah & mosque is located on an island off the shoreline of Worli It was bulit in 1431 by a rich merchant Haji Ali.

Haji Ali

As per the legends, Haji Ali left this world during his journey to Mecca and a coffer carrying his body hovered back to Mumbai. Other stories state that the great saint drowned at the place, where the mosque stands at present. On Thursdays and Fridays, the shrine is visited by at least 40,000 pilgrims. Irrespective of faith and religion, people visit the ‘dargah’ to get the blessings of the legendary saint.

Dargah
Dargah
This island is connected to the Mahalakshmi area by a narrow walkway, which is not even constrained by railings and is prone to sea waters during high-tide. Consequently, you can reach the mosque only during low-tides.

Haji Ali Entrance
Haji Ali Entrance

The walkway, offering 500-yard-walk, is the highlight of this expedition, where the touch of cool waters and pleasing breeze altogether will make this a divine experience. The dargah has a tomb that is always covered by a brocaded red & green sheet supported by a delicated silver frame. The marble pillars inside the main hall are decorated with multihued mirrors and embrace the ninety-nine names of Allah.

Hope you enjoyed the post ..............

6 comments :

  1. Mahesh ji thanks for sharing. Low light pictures are always tricky. But the place is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, the walk through the pathway is what makes this dargah special. The place looks quite less in crowd during evenings.. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete